How to install Oculus Rift SDK
This article is for the people who have newly hand on experience or decided to get start for oculus rift SDK. They can take advantage from this article about how to install Oculus Rift SDK , let’s have a detail look on it.
Setup for headset
Firstly, remove headset from the box and make comfortable adjustments with straps- so it goes perfectly with your head.
You can also use lens for adjusting view of screen from your face. You would be able to see clear screen if you have bad eyesight and you use contact lens for this. It is not recommended to wear glasses with oculus as it can scratch the lens.
Development kit have three different pair of lens and you can use it appropriately:
- A cups – For perfect eyesight
- B cups – For medium and safe eyesight
- C cups – very near sighted
Setting up the control box
- The cord which coming out of oculus rift is attached with square is a control box-Connector on a control box:
- Connect the USB to your PC and control box.
- Select one video cable- Either DVI or HDMI.
- Plug the power cord with control box.
- Turn on the power button.
Recommended specifications for Rift SDK
For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:
- Graphics Card: GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
- Alternative Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
- CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
- Memory: 8GB+ RAM
- Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
- USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
- OS: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer, plus the DirectX platform update
- Additionally, make sure you also have the latest GPU drivers:
- NVIDIA Driver Version 355.83 or later
- AMD Catalyst Display Driver Version 15.200.1062.1005 or later
These all above points and configurations are amazing rift experience in games and applications that should be deliver. Similarly, these all are fundamentals to success of VR and you can optimize and control specifications to simply development.
Oculus Rift Setup
It is mentioned that before installing SDK, Oculus recommended these three items need to be properly configured and tested:
- Firm Wire
- Run time
- Hard ware
Installation of run time and hard ware you have check and follow steps of Oculus setup and if you have not latest firm while installing Oculus setup it will automatically install latest drivers and firm wire.For more information about setting up the Oculus Rift, see https://www.oculus.com/setup/.
And for the development- enable oculus from unknown sources: for that step you have click
Gear icon -> select setting -> General -> enable unknown sources
Oculus Rift SDK Setup
After installing Oculus Rift and software through Oculus Setup here is how to install Oculus Rift SDK:
- Go to Oculus developer centre https://developer.oculus.com/
- Make a developer account- “Sign up “. it will ask for an organizational account not as individual. Probably you need to describe the project.
- If you want download lastest packages – Go on this https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/native-windows/.when you go in download tab on the right side of dashboard you have options :
- Core packages
- supporting packages
- SDK versions use a major.minor.patch format. For example, 5.0.1 means Major 5, Minor 0, Patch 1.
The LibOVR libraries do not need exception handling or RTTI support.
Moreover, your application or game can restrict features for effectiveness and efficiency.
Further more – LibOVR/Projects directories and Samples can be rebuild by developers.
Soluitons and project files for SDK are avialiable for : Visual Studio 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015
You can build the sample and LibOVR.
These are step through you can install oculus Rift SDK. For further things you can check this https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-sdk-setup/#dg_hardware_setup