Attack in Manchester
On 22 May 2017, a suicide attack was carried out at Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, following a concert by American singer Grande. The attack emerged a loss of Twenty-three precious lives including adults and children, 116 were injured, some critically.
As the Manchester Victoria railway station is situated underneath the arena, all the services were eliminated and the station was evacuated. The explosion lead to structural damage to the station, which remained closed until the damage had been gauged and repaired, resulting in serious interruption to train and tram services.
The UK Prime Minister Theresa May declared that the UK’s terror threat level was raised to “critical”, its highest level. The threat level remained critical until 27 May, when it was reduced to its previous level of strictness. The strong impact of the attack compelled the government to start the Operation Temperer , allowing up to 5,000 soldiers to reinforce armed police in secure parts of the country. Tours of the Houses of Parliament and the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace were cancelled on 24 May, and troops were deployed to guard government buildings in London.
According to the UK police, the attacker was identified as Salman Ramadan Abedi, a 22-year-old British Muslim who detonated an improvised explosive device, in the Manchester Arena. Officers assaulted terrorist Salman Abedi’s home and discovered a working bomb factory with a huge amount of explosive. Currently Abedi’s father Ramadan has reportedly been arrested in Tripoli, Libya. In his interview he denied his son Salman’s involvement in the blast and said: “We don’t believe in killing innocents. This is not us.”Abedi’s younger brother Hashem has also reportedly been arrested in Tripoli, Libya, on skepticism of having links to the Islamic State group that claimed responsibility for the Manchester Arena attack.
Investigation So Far
As per the Britain’s top counter- terror officer, gigantic progress is made by the UK Police claiming that they have seized some key players. According to the Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, police have made “significant” arrests and “finds” and have got hold of a large part of the network. Mr. Rowley said, “We are very happy we’ve got our hands around some of the key players that we are concerned about but there’s still a little bit more to do’’.
What is the latest?
Manchester Police released new photos of the bomber with a blue suitcase taken days before he carried out the deadly attack at an Ariana Grande concert, urging the public to come forward with any information on the item. In the photos the suspect was clearly seen with a “distinctive blue suitcase” that was taken between May 18 and the day of the bombing. According to police total, 14 men are in custody in connection with the May 22 bombing. After the incident, 24/7 surveillance is carried out scouring 12,960 hours of closed circuit TV recordings in their search for clues, have collected more than 630 pieces of evidence and have searched 21 addresses.
US Authorities Leaked Details
The United States media has revealed some secret information regarding the Manchester attack. Home Secretary Amber Rudd has warned the United States about leaking confidential details about the Manchester Arena attack by the US media. Ms Rudd said the leak had been ‘irritating’ after a number of details appeared in US media, including death troll information.US sites reported the attack being a suspected terror attack and the attacker’s name well before British police had officially released the details.